The Idea of Fear as Reflected in Shaw’s Saint Joan
One of the major themes that Shaw explores in his works is the concept of fear and terror. Fear of revolution or reformation takes precedence over all other fears in his plays .This paper shows how Shaw had tackled this recurring idea of fear from change, reformation and revolution. It reflects Shaw’s philosophy that the essence of our changing human world is revolution and reformation. As a result, there are anti-revolutionary forces that are afraid of such revolutionary figures. For the sake of truth and social reformation, reformists do their best and even risk their lives. Joan of Arc, a historical heroine, is used by Shaw as a symbol for reformation and revolution. Those who dread such people, on the other hand, do everything they can to prevent people from using their sacred right to revolt against tyranny and injustice. The paper focuses on Saint Joan as Shaw's best work that deals with the fear of reformation.
2. Adams ,William James, “France”, Encarta Encyclopedia,Microsoft Corporation 2004.
3. Bently , Eric. Bernard Shaw. New York: New Directions,1957.
4. Carrington ,Norman T. Brodie’s Notes on Shaw’s Saint Joan. London:Pan Book Ltd,1976.
5. Colby Charles W.ed.“Medieval Sourcebook: The Trial of Joan of Arc,1431”Selections from the
6. sources of English History,55BC-AD 1832.London:Longman,Green,1920.
7. Daiches,David.A Critical History of English Literature.Vol.2, London: Secker & Warbury,1960.
8. Edward , Lucie Smith. “Joan of Arc” The Columbia Encyclopedia,6th edition,2001,www.bartleby.com/65/jo/joannabib.html.
9. Henneman ,Joan Bell, “Hundred Year’s War”, Encarta Encyclopedia,Microsoft corporation,2004.
10. Kossuth , Louis, “Legends of Joan of Arc”,www.thedividingnation.com/comlegends-of-JoanofArc.
11. Martz , Louis L. “The Saint as Tragic Hero”, Tragic Themes in Western Literature, Cleanth Brook, ed. New Haven: Yale University Press,1960.
12. Russell ,Christopher. “The Creativity of Joan of Arc”,www.therussell.net/papers/joan.
13. Roberts, Jeremy. Saint Joan of Arc .Minneapolis: Lerner Publication Co.2000.
14. Shaw. “Preface”. Saint Joan, London: Penguin Books,1961.
15. Shaw. Saint Joan,London:Longman,1966.
16. Shaw, Saint Joan: Selected Plays, ed. Dan H. Laurence. New York: Dodd, Mead & Co.,1981.
17. Valency, Maurice. The Cart and the Trumpet: The Plays of George Bernard Shaw. New York: Dodd, & Co,1981.
18. Wilson , John Burgess. Survey of English Literature London: Longman, Green and Co Ltd,1969.
19. Weintraub Stanley .“George Bernard Shaw ”.Encarta Encyclopedia,Microsoft Corporation 2004.
الحقوق الفكرية (c) 2021 Assist. Lect. Khawla Muzahim Ali
هذا العمل مرخص حسب الرخصة Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.