The Concept of Nature in the Poetry of Seamus Heaney
Nature is one of the most important themes that English poetry comprises. Most of the Irish modern poets tackle the concept of nature in their works. They depict the image of nature in many different ways. The purpose of this study is to analyse the theme of nature in selected poems by Seamus Heaney.
Heaney is widely recognised as one of the major poets of the twentieth century. He draws his tremendous joys and vitality from the Irish landscape, which enables him to explore himself and the mysteries of nature through poetry. His poems were also characterized by the titled "Death of a Naturalist", "Blackberry picking", "Churning Day" with colours, smells, tastes and experiences. In "Death of a Naturalist" Heaney distinctly explains everything the frogspawn, with a child's wide-eyed wonder and natural magic. In "Blackberry picking", "Churning Day" His attention to detail is impressive, minutely observing the people and their places of work, which he explains richly. These poems bear various images of nature. Heaney's poems contain a wealth of description of immense evocative force, implying the poet's intimate relationship with nature and a desire to find solutions to contemporary problems through the lens of nature. Profoundly and conveniently, Heaney connects art, nature, politics, religion, and memory. He emphasizes in his writings the work of man: ploughing, planting, butter churning, blackberry picking and potato picking. In his poetry, he embodies nature, childhood memories, places, and the sense of community in his family.
Finally, nature is one of the most significant concepts that Heaney deals with in his poetry. The natural environment and rural life on the Mossbawn family farm in County Derry are discussed in this research.
2. ________________. "Various Themes in the poems of Seamus Heaney". http://www.asklitreature. com/poetry/ various- themes-in- the-poems-of-seamus. November 10, 2018.
3. Allen, Michael. Seamus Heaney: A Collection of Critical Essays. The United State of America: St. Martin's Press. 1997.
4. Andrews, Elmer. The Poetry of Seamus Heaney: All the Realms of Whisper. London: The Macmillan Press LTD. 1988.
5. Angela, J. "Common Themes in Seamus Heaney poems". http://www.scribd. com/common-themes-in-seamus-heaney-poems. 2019.
6. Bloom, Harold. Comprehensive Research and Study Guide: Seamus Heaney. The United State of America: Chelsea House Publishers. 2003.
7. Cash, Peter. "Seamus Heaney: Death of a Naturalist". English Association longer poems series, N. 7, London: University of Leicester Publishers. 2013.
8. Hanley, Vincent. "The Poetry of Seamus Heaney: Some Recurring Themes". https://www.vinhanely. com/the-poetry-of-seamus-heaney-some-recurring-themes. September 22, 2018.
9. Hart, Henry. Seamus Heaney: Poet of Contrary Progression. New York: Syracuse Unviserty Press. 1992.
10. Heaney, Seamus. Death of Naturalist. London: Faber & Faber. 1966.
11. Hills, Farmington. A Study Guide for Seamus Heaney's 'A Drink of water'. The United State of America: The Gale Group. 2000.
12. "Influences: Seamus Heaney". https://www.weebly. com/influences-seamus-heaney. September 11, 2019.
13. McClements, Helen. "Death of a Naturalist: Seamus Heaney".https://www.poemsanalysis. com/seamus-heaney-death-of –naturalist. 2020.
14. Morrison, Blake. Seamus Heaney: Contemporary Writers series. London: Methuen & Co. LTD. 1982.
15. Mukherjee, Geettanjali. Seamus Heaney: Selected poems. New Delhi: Rama Brothers Pvt. LTD. 2010.
16. Parker, Michael. The Making of the Poet. Dublin. Gill Macmillan Press. 1993.
17. Russell, Richard Rankin. Seamus Heaney: Introduction. London: Edinburgh University Press LTD. 2016.
18. Soovali, Stepping Helen, et al. eds. Ruptured Landscapes: Landscape Identity and Social change. London: Durham University Press. 2015.
19. Stefanoviƈ, Suzana. "Seamus Heaney: The Poet and His Tradition". Facta Unversity Series: Linguistic and Literature. Vo. 2. November 8, 2001.
20. "The Theme of Nature in the poetry of Seamus Heaney". https://prezi. com/the-theme-of-nature-in-the-poetry-of-seamus-heaney. 2019.
الحقوق الفكرية (c) 2021 Assist. Lect. Hafsa Ra’ad Abdulateef
هذا العمل مرخص حسب الرخصة Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.