Post-Traumatic Risk Factors in Heroin Addiction Patients Undergoing Substitution Treatment
Opioid addiction is a real public health problem and studies on its risk factors are needed. Scientific work addressing the links between heroin addiction from the angle of the impact of traumatic events and post-traumatic consequences, risk factors often apparent in the clinic, has focused more on specific populations in the Arab countries, and more rarely in Iraq. This research therefore focused on studying post-traumatic risk factors in heroin-addiction patients undergoing substitution treatment through cross-sectional study. This study concerned a set of 30 heroin-addiction patients on Opioid Substitution Treatment OST during their treatment at Ibn Rushd Psychiatric Hospital Teaching IRPHT in Baghdad. We hypothesized that opioid addiction correlated with traumatic events, psychiatric disorders and socio-demographic determinants. The patients responded to structured interviews and to a dossier of validated questionnaires to assess the socio-demographic characteristics, the traumatic experience and its psychopathological consequences. The research shows that opioid addiction is positively correlated with social situation, current dissociative symptoms and hyper responsiveness of PTSD. In conclusion, our research provided elements of understanding of the links between PTSD and opioid addiction, thus contributing Iraq researches in the field of addictions. Our study highlight the need to rigorously investigate the presence of traumatic events and include a Cognitive Behavioral Therapy CBT psychotherapeutic intervention targeting PTSD in the treatment of heroin addiction.
2. (2013), Washington DC: American psychiatric Association.
3. Bernstein, EM., Putnam, FW. (1986). Development, reliability and validity of a dissociation scale. j nerv and Ment Dis, 174, 727-734.
4. Birmes, P., Brunet, A., Carreras, D., Ducassé, J.C., Charlet, J.P., Lanque, D., Sztulman, H., Schmitt, L. (2003). The predictive power of peritraumatic dissociation and acute stress symptoms for posttraumatic stress symptoms: A three-month prospective study. Am journal psychiatry, 160(7), 1337-1339.
5. Blanchard, EB., Buckley,TC., Hickling,EJ., Taylor, AE (1998). Postttraumatic Stress Disorder and comorbid major depression is the correlation an illusion. Journal Anxiety Disorder, 12 (1), 21-37.
6. Blanchard, EB., Hickling,EJ., Freidenberg, BM., Malta, LS., Kuhu, E., et al. (2004). Two studies of psychiatric morbidity among motor vehicle accident survivors 1 year after the crash. Behaviour Research Therapy, 42 (5): 569-583.
7. Bohnert, A.S.B., Bradshaw, C.P., Latkin, C.A. (2009). A social network perspective on heroin and cocaine use among adults: evidence of bidirectional influences. Addiction, 104, 1210-1218.
8. Brady, KT., Killeen, TK., Brewerton, T et al. (2000). Comorbidity of psychiatric disorder and posttraumatic stress disorder. J Clin Psychiatry, 61(7): 22-32.
9. Bramsen, I., Dirkzwager, A., Van der Ploeg, H. (2000). Predeployment personality traits and exposure to trauma as predictors of posttraumatic stress symptoms: a prospective study of former peacekeepers. American journal of psychiatry, 157, 1115-1119.
10. Breslau (2002). Epidemiologic studies of trauma, Posttraumatic Stress Disorder and other psychiatric disorder, Can J psychiatry, 47: 923-929.
11. Brewer, D.D., Catalano, R.F., Haggerty, K., Gainey, R.R., Fleming, C.B. (1998). A meta-analysis of predictors of continued drug use during and after treatment for opiate addiction. Addiction, 93 (1), 73-92.
12. Brown, RC., Nugent,NR., Hawn, SE et al. (2016). Predicting the transition from acute stress disorder to Posttraumatic Stress Disorder in children with severe injuries. Journal of Pediatric Health Care, 30, 6: 558-568.
13. Bryant, R.A., Creamer, M., O’Donnell, M., Alexander,DR., Mc Farlane,C. (2012). The capacity of acute stress disorder to predict posttraumatic psychiatric disorders. Journal of psychiatric research, 46, 2: 168-173.
14. Bryant, R.A., Brooks, R., Silove, D., et al. (2011).Peritraumatic dissociation mediates the relationship between acute panic and chronic posttraumatic stress disorder. Behavior research and therapy, 49, 346-351.
15. Bryant, RA & Harvey, AG. (2003). Gender differences in the relationship between acute stress disorder and posttraumatic stress disorder following motor vehicle accidents. Australian and new Zealand Journal of psychiatry, 37: 226-229.
16. Cacciola, J. S., Koppenhaver,JM., Alterman, AI., Mckay, JR. (2009). Posttraumatic stress disorder and other psychopathology in substance abusing patients. Drug and Alcohol dependence. 101, 27-33.
17. Chun-Hung, L., Tro-Jen,W., et al. (2015).Familial expressed emotion among heroin addicts in methadone maintenance treatment: Does it matter? Addictive behaviors, 45, 39-44
18. Cottler, L.B., Compton, W.M.III, Mager, D., Spitznagel, E.L., et al. (1992). Posttraumatic stress disorder among substance users from the general population. American Journal of psychiatry, 149, 664-670.
19. Darves-Bornoz JM., Degiovanni A., Gaillard P.(1999).Validation of French version of the Dissociative Expériences Scale in a rape-victim population. J Psychiatry 44, 271-275.
20. Driessen, M., Schulte, S., Luedecke, C., Schaefer, I., Sutmann, F., Ohlmeier, M., Kemper, U., Koesters, G., Chodzinski, C., Schneider, U., Broese, T., Dette, C., Havemann-Reinicke, U. (2008).Trauma and PTSD in patients with alcohol, drug, or dual dependence: a multi-center study. Alcoholism: clinical and experimental research, 32, (3), 481-488.
21. Evren, C., Cinar, O., Evren, B., Ulku, M., Karabulut,V., Umut, G. (2013). The mediator roles of trait anxiety, hostility, and impulsivity in the association between childhood trauma and dissociation in male substance-dependent inpatients. Comprehensive psychiatry, 54, 158-166.
22. Evren, C., Ozcetinkayer, S., Ulker, M., Cagil, D., Goknalp, P., Cetin, T., Yigiter, S. (2012). Relationship of defense styles with history of childhood trauma and personality in heroin dependent inpatients. Psychiatry research, 200, 728-733.
23. Foa, EB., Stein, D.J., McFarlane, A.C. (2006). Symptomatology and psychopathology of mental health problems after disaster. J Clin Psychiatry, 67, 2: 15-25.
24. Ford, J.D., Gelernter, J., DeVoe, J.S., Zhang, W., Weiss, R.D., Brady, K., Farrer, L., Kranzler, H.R. (2009). Association of psychiatric and substance use disorder comorbidity with cocaine dependence severity and treatment utilization in cocaine-dependent individual. Drug and alcohol dependence, 99, 193-203.
25. Ford, D.J., Hawke, J., Alessi, S., Ledgerwood, D., Petry, N. (2007). Psychological trauma and PTSD symptoms as predictors of substance dependence treatment outcomes. Behaviour research and therapy, 45, 2417-2431.
26. Frans, O., Rimmö, P.A., Aberg, L., Fredrikson, M. (2005). Trauma exposure and post-traumatic stress disorder in the general population. Acta Psyciatr Scand Apr, 111(4), 291-299.
27. Frischknecht, V., Beckmann, B., Heinrich, M., Kniest, A., Nakovics, H., Kiefer, Mann, K., Hermann, D. (2011). The vicious circle of perceived stigmatization, depressiveness, anxiety, and low quality of live in substituted heroin addicts European Addiction Research, 17, 241-249
28. Gilbar, O. (2020). Examining the boundaries between ICD-11 PTSD / CPTSD and symptoms of depression and anxiety: A network analysis perspective. Journal of Affective Disorder, 262, 429-439
29. Gratz, K.L., Tull, M.T., Baruch, D.E., Bornovalova,M.A., Lejuez, CW. (2008). Factors associated with co-occuring brderline personnality disorder among inner-city substance users. The roles of childhood maltreatment, negative affect intensity/reactivity, and emotion dysregulation. Comprehension psychiatry, 49(6), 603-615.
30. Green, B.L. (1996). Trauma History Questionnaire. In BH Stamm, E.M. Varra (ED), Measurement of stress, trauma, and adaptation (pp.366-369). Catherville, MD: Sidran Press.Greenfield, SF., Strakowski, SM et al. (1994). Childhood abuse in first episode-psychosis. Br J Psychiatry, 164 (6): 831-834.
31. Hien, D., Cohen, L., Campbell, A. (2005). Is traumatic stress a vulnerability factor for women with substance use disorders? Clinical psychology review, 25, 813-823.
32. Holeva, V., & Tarrier, N. (2001). Personality and peritraumatic dissociation in the prediction of PTSD in victims of road traffic accidents. J Psychosoma Res, 51(5): 687-692.
33. Horowitz, M., Wilner, N., Alvarez, W. (1979). Impact of event scale: a measure of subjective stress. Psychosomatic medicine, 41, 209-218.
34. Horton, E., Diaz, N., Peluso, PR., Mullaney, D., Weiner, M., Mcllveen, JW. (2009). Relationships between Trauma, Posttraumatic Stress disorder Symptoms, Dissociative Symptoms, and Lifetime Heroin use among individuals who abuse substances in residential treatment. Journal of Addiction & Offender Counseling. 29, 81-95.
35. Husky, MM., Lépine, JP., Gasquet, I., Kovers-Masfety, V. (2015). Exposure to traumatic Events and Posttraumatic Stress Disorder in France: results from the WMH Survey. Journal of Trauma Stress 28(4), 275-282.
36. Jakscis,N., Brajkovic, L et al. (2012).The role of personality traits in Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). Psychiatria Danubina, 24, 3 256-266.
37. Johnson, S,D., Striley C., Cottler, LB.(2006). The association of substance use disorders with trauma exposure and PTSD among African American drug users. Addictive behaviors. 31, 2063-2075.
38. Josse, E. (2007). Le traumatisme psychique quelques repères notionnels.
40. Malow, R.M., Dévieux, J.G., Martinez, L., Peipnan, f., Lucenko, B.A., Kalichman, S.C. (2006). History of traumatic abuse and HIV risk behaviors in severely mentally II substance abusing adults. Journal of family violence, 21(2), 127-137.
41. Marmar, C., Weiss, D., Schlenger, W., Fairbank, J et al. (1994). Peritraumatic dissociation and posttraumatic stress in male Vietnam theater veterans. American Journal of psychiatry, 151, 902-907.
42. Marmar, C., Weiss, D., Metzler, T. (1997). The peritraumatic dissociative experience questionnaire. In J. Wilson, & T. Keane (Eds.), Assessing psychological trauma and PTSD (pp. 413-428). New York: The Guilford Press.
43. McLellan AT., Luborsky L., Woody GE., O’Brien CP.(1980). An improved diagnostic evaluation instrument for substance abuse patients. The Addiction Severity Index. J new Ment Dis. 168 (1), 26-33.
44. Mills, K.L., Lynskey, M., Teesson, M., Ross, J., Darke, S. (2005). Post-traumatic stress disorder among people with heroin dependence in the Australian treatment outcome study (ATOS): prevalence and correlates. Drug and alcohol dependence, 77, 243-249
45. Najavits, LM., Harned, MS ., Gallop RJ.(2007). Six-month treatment outcomes of cocaine-dependent patients with and without PTSD in a multisite national trial. J Stud Alcohol Drugs. 68, (3), 353-61.
46. Najavits, L.M., Walsh, M. (2012). Dissociation, PTSD, and substance abuse: an empirical study. Journal of trauma & dissociation, 13 (1), 115-126.
47. Norman, S.B., Tate, S.R., Anderson, K.G., Brown, SA. (2007). Do trauma history and PTSD symptoms influence addiction relapse context? Drug and alcohol dependence, 90, 89-96.
48. Picken, A., Tarrier, N. (2011). Trauma and comorbid posttraumatic stress disorder in individuals with schizophrenia and substance abuse. Comprehensive psychiatry 497-490, (5)52
49. Price, C.J., Herting, J.R. (2013). Canges in Posttraumatic stress symptoms among women in substance use disorder treatment: the mediating role of bodily dissociation and emotion regulation. Substance abuse: Research and treatment, 7, 147-153.
50. Read, J.P, Brown, P.J, Kahler, C.W (2004). Substance use and posttraumatic stress disorders: Symptom interplay and effects on outcome. Addictive behaviors, 29(8), 1665-1672.
51. Reed, P.L., Anthony, J.C., Breslau, N. (2007). Incidence of drug problems in young adults exposed to trauma and posttraumatic stress disorder : do early life experiences and predispositions matter? Arch gen psych, 64(12), 1435-1442.
52. Salmona, M. Mémoire traumatique et conduites dissociantes. In Contanceau, R-Smith, Traumas et résilience. Dunod (2012).
53. Samantha, A.C., Benjamin R. S., Kipling M. B., Rebecca K. S., John F. M. (2020). Association Between Positive Results on the Primary Care–Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Screen and Suicide Mortality Among US Veterans. Original Investigation Psychiatry. JAMA Network Open.; 3(9):e15707. Doi: 10.1001
54. Sar, V., Akyuz, G., Kundakci, T., Kiziltan, E., Dogan, O. (2004). Childhood trauma, dissociation, and psychiatric comorbidity in patients with conversion disorder. American Journal Psychaitry, 161, 2271-2276.
55. Sareen, J., Cox, B.J, Stein, M.B et al. (2007). Physical and mental comorbidity disability and suicidal behavior associated with posttraumatic stress disorder in a large community sample. Psychosomatic medicine, 69, 242-248.
56. Schaëfer, I., Langeland, W., Hissback, J., Luedecke, L., Kemper, U., et al. (2010). Childhood trauma and dissociation in patients with alcohol dependence, drug dependence, or both-a multi -center study. Drug and alcohol dependence, 109 (1-3), 84-89.
57. Schiff, M., Levit,S., Cohen-Moreno, R.(2010). Childhood sexual abuse, post-traumatic stress disorder, and use of heroin among female clients in Israeli methadone maintenance treatment programs (MMTPS). Soc Work Health Care. 49 (9), 799-813.
58. Scioli-Salter, ER., Johnides, BD., Mitchell, KS., Smith, BN., Resick, PA., Rasmusson, AM. (2016). Depression and dissociation as predictors of physical health symptoms among female rape survivors with posttraumatic stress disorder. Psychological trauma : theory, research, pratice, and policy, 8 (5), 585.
59. Skinner, H.A. (1989). The Drug Abuse Screening Test (DAST): Guidelines for administration and scoring. The Addiction Research Foundation.
60. Somer, E.(2003). Prediction of abstinence from heroin addiction by childhood trauma, dissociation, and extent of psychosocial treatment. Addiction research and theory. 11(5), 339-348.
61. Somer, E., Altus, L., Ginzburg, K. (2010). Dissociative psychopathology among opioid use disorder patients: exploring the “chemical dissociation” hypothesis. Comprehensive psychiatry. 51,419-425.
62. Stewart, SH .(1996). Alcohol abuse in individuals exposed to trauma: a critical review. Psychol Bull, 120 (1) : 83-112.
63. Taner, E., Acikyurek, K., Cosar, B., Arikan, Z. (2006). Dissociative disorder in alcohol dependent patients. Journal of dependence, 3th National Addiction Congress (Supl), 7, p.62 (Turkish).
64. Tarrier, N., Gregg, C. (2004). Suicide risk in civilian PTSD patients.Pre’dictors of suicidal ideation, planning and attempts. Social psychiatry and psychiatric epidemiology, 39, 655-661.
65. Teesson, M., Havard, A., Fairbairn, S., Ross, J., Cynskey, M., Darke S.(2005).Depression among entrants to treatment for heroin dependence in the Australian Treatment Outcome study (ATOS) : prevalence, correlates and treatment seeking. Drug and Alcohol dependence, 78, 309-315.
66. Vetter, S., Rossegger, A., Rossler, W., Bisson, J.I., Endrass, J. (2008). Exposure to the tsunami disaster, PTSD symptoms and increased substance use-an internet based survey of male and female residents of Switzerland. BMC, public health, 8-92.
67. Weiss, D.S.& Marmar, C.R.(1997). The Impact of Event Scale-Revised. In J.Wilson & T.Keane (Eds), Assessing psychological trauma and PTSD, 399-411. New York Guildford Press.
68. Youssef, D. (2020). Drug trade and abuse in Iraq. https://www.sotaliraq.com.
الحقوق الفكرية (c) 2021 Firas Abbas Fadhil , Ali Hamki Mahdi , Alyaa Abdulreda Abbas
هذا العمل مرخص حسب الرخصة Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.