Ethical Leadership and Organisational Discipline: A Case Study on a Telecommunication Organisation in Oman
This study aims to explore the impact of ethical leadership dimensions (ethical role modelling, reward and punishment, and communicating about ethics and values) on organisational discipline in Omantel, a telecommunication organisation in Oman. Using random sampling, data was collected from employees working at Omantel, Dhofar Governorate. Additionally, a multiple regression analysis was used to investigate the impact of ethical leadership on organisational discipline. The study’s results showed that only two dimensions of ethical leadership, namely ethical role modelling and communicating about ethics and values, had an effect on organisational discipline, whereas reward and punishment had no significant effect on organisational discipline.
2. Koh, H. C., & Boo, E. H. Y. (2001). The link between organizational ethics and job satisfaction: A study of managers in Singapore. Journal of Business Ethics, 29, pp. 305-324.
3. Alshaier, E. (2017). Moral leadership practices and their relationship to the achievement of administrative creativity (Field study on Palestinian universities in the Gaza strip), unpublished Master thesis of business administration, The Islamic University–Gaza.
4. Babalola, M. T., Stouten, J., Euwema, M. C., & Ovadje, F. (2018). The Relation Between Ethical Leadership and Workplace Conflicts: The Mediating Role of Employee Resolution Efficacy. Journal of Management, 44(5), pp. 2037–2063.
5. Bhana, A., & Bayat, M. S. (2020). The relationship between ethical leadership styles and employees effective work practices. International Journal of Higher Education, 9(4), pp. 128–137.
6. Yukl, Gary. (2013). Leadership in Organizations. 8th ed. Boston: Pearson.
7. Rubin, R., Dierdorff, E., & Brown, M. (2010). Do Ethical Leaders Get Ahead? Exploring Ethical Leadership and Promotability. Business Ethics Quarterly, 20(2), pp. 215-236.
8. Heres, L. & Lasthuizen, K. (2012). What's the Difference? Ethical Leadership in Public, Hybrid and Private Sector Organizations, Journal of Change Management, Vol. 12 No.4, pp. 441-466.
9. Brown, M. E., & Treviño, L. K. (2006). Ethical leadership: A review and future directions. Leadership Quarterly, 17(6), pp. 595-616.
10. Brown, M. E., Treviño, L. K., & Harrison, D. A. (2005). Ethical leadership: A social learning perspective for construct development and testing. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 97, pp. 117-134.
11. Butt, A., Butt, I., & Ayaz, M. (2016). Impact of Ethical Leadership on Organizational Performance and Mediating Role of Corporate Social Responsibility: Evidence from Banking Sector of Pakistan., International Journal of Management Sciences and Business Research, Vol. 5 No. 6, pp. 25-37.
12. Calhoon, A.E. (2008). Discipline in Response to Unacceptable Performance: Hindrance to Access in Organizations. International Journal of Educational Management, 6(4), pp. 394-412.
13. de Hoogh, A. H. B., and D. N. den Hartog. (2008). Ethical and despotic leadership, relationships with leader's social responsibility, top management team effectiveness and subordinates' optimism: A multi-method study. Leadership Quarterly 19 (3), pp. 297-311.
14. De Roeck, K., & Farooq, O. (2018). Corporate social responsibility and ethical leadership: Investigating their interactive effect on employees’ socially responsible behaviors. Journal of Business Ethics, 151(4), pp. 923-939.
15. Khuntia, R. and Suar, D. (2004) A scale to assess ethical leadership of Indian private and public sector managers, Journal of Business Ethics, 49(1), pp. 13–26.
16. Dradkeh, A., Al-Mutairy, H. (2017). "The Role of Ethical Leadership in Enhancing Organizational Trust Among Principals of Primary Schools in Taif City," Jordanian Journal of Educational Sciences, Vol. 13 No. 2, pp. 223-237.
17. Ruiz-Palomino, P., Ruiz-Amaya, C., & Knörr, H. (2011). Employee Organizational Citizenship Behaviour: The Direct and Indirect Impact of Ethical Leadership. Canadian Journal of Administrative Sciences / Revue Canadienne des Sciences de l'Administration, 28(3), pp. 244-258.
18. Ekriem, M. (2012) The Impact of Ethical Leadership Behavioral on Applying Total Quality Management Concept in Libyan Hospitals. Unpublished Doctoral thesis of business administration, Ain Shams University.
19. Elçi, M., and Alpkan, L. (2009). “The impact of perceived organizational ethical climate on work satisfaction,” J Bus Ethics, vol. 84 no. 3, pp. 297–311.
20. Fahlepi, R. (2020). Decision Support Systems Employee Discipline Identification Using the Simple Multi Attribute Rating Technique (SMART) Method. Journal of Applied Engineering and Technological Science (JAETS), 1(2), pp. 103-112.
21. Fitria, Y., Sutiyem, S., Trismiyanti, D., & Suhery,. S. (2019). Identification of the Influence of Leadership and Organizational Culture on Employee Discipline. Advances in Economics, Business and Management Research, volume 97, pp. 726- 733.
22. Ghahroodi, H., Ghazali, M. Z. B. T. S. M., & Seyed Ghorban, Z. (2013). Examining ethical leadership and its impacts on the followers' behavioral outcomes. Asian Social Science, 9(3), pp. 91 – 96.
23. Piccolo, R.F., Greenbaum, R., den Hartog, D.N. and Folger, R. (2010) The relationship between ethical leadership and core job characteristics, Journal of Organizational Behavior, 31(2–3), pp. 259–278.
24. Grojean, M., C. Resick, M. Dickson, and D. Smith. (2004). Leaders, values, and organizational climate: Examining leadership strategies for establishing an organizational climate regarding ethics. Journal of Business Ethics, 55 (3), pp. 223-241.
25. Huberts, L.W.C., Kaptein, M. and Lasthuizen, K. (2007) A study of the impact of three leadership styles on integrity violations committed by police officers, Policing. An International Journal of Police Strategies & Management, 30(4), pp. 587–607.
26. Mohrman, S. A., Cohen, S. G., & Mohrman, A. M. (1995). Designing team-based organizations: New forms for knowledge work. San Francisco: Jossey Bass.
27. Kottke, J. L., & Pelletier, K. L. (2013). Measuring and differentiating perceptions of supervisor and top leader ethics. Journal of Business Ethics, 113, pp. 415-428.
28. Hassan, S., Wright, B. E., & Yukl, G. (2014). Does ethical leadership matter in government? Effects on organizational commitment, absenteeism, and willingness to report ethical problems. Public Administration Review, Vol. 74 No. 3, pp. 333-343.
29. Kalshoven, K., Hartog, D., Hoogh, A. (2011). Ethical leadership at work questionnaire (ELW): Development and validation of a multidimensional measure, The Leadership Quarterly, Vol. 22 No.1, pp. 51-69.
30. Kaptein, M. (2002). Guidelines for the development of an ethics safety net. Journal of Business Ethics, 41, pp. 217-234.
31. Zoghbi-Manrique-de-Lara, P., & Suárez-Acosta, M. A. (2014). Employees’ reactions to peers’ unfair treatment by supervisors: The role of ethical leadership. Journal of Business Ethics, 122, pp. 537-549.
32. Kusasih, I., and Tridayanti, H. (2020). Influence of Employee Discipline, Compensation and Employee Load on Employee Performance in PT. Tozy Sentosa in Surabaya, Journal of World Conference, Vol. 2 No. 3, pp. 152-168.
33. Lasthuizen, K. (2008). Leading to integrity: Empirical research into the effects of leadership on ethics and integrity. Amsterdam: VU University Amsterdam.
34. Liyas, J. (2017). Pengaruh Kepemimpinan Terhadap Disiplin Kerja Karyawan Pada Pt. Bank Syariah Mandiri, Jurnal Ekonomi Dan Bizins Islam, Vol. 2 No. 2, pp. 1-10.
35. Lotfi Z, Atashzadeh-Shoorideh F, Mohtashami J, Nasiri M. (2018). Relationship between ethical leadership and organisational commitment of nurses with perception of patient safety culture. J Nurs Manag, 26, pp. 726–34
36. Lu, C., & Lin, C. (2014). The Effects of Ethical Leadership and Ethical Climate on Employee Ethical Behavior in the International Port Context. Journal of Business Ethics, 124(2),pp. 209-223.
37. Madiawati, P. N., & Pradana, M. (2016). Celebrity and halal certificates factors influence on customers’ buying interest. Актуальні проблеми економіки, (3), pp. 109-116.
38. Mayer, D. M., Kuenzi, M., Greenbaum, R., Bardes, M., & Salvador, R. B. (2009). How low does ethical leadership flow? Test of a trickle-down model. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 108(1), pp. 1–13.
39. Mendonca, M. (2001). Preparing for ethical leadership in organizations. Canadian Journal of Administrative Sciences, 18, pp. 266−276.
40. Mohiuddin, G., & Hossain, M. (2016). Ethical Leadership: Its Issues and Impacts in Organization. International Journal of Islamic Management and Business, 2(2).
41. Neubert, M., Carlson, D., Kacmar, K., Roberts, J., & Chonko, L. (2009). The Virtuous Influence of Ethical Leadership Behavior: Evidence from the Field. Journal of Business Ethics, Vol. 90 No. 2, pp. 157-170.
42. Omantel Co. about. Omantel, available at: https://www.omantel.om/About / (accessed 20 January 2020). 2020.
43. Rantika, S. D., & Yustina, A. (2017). "Effects of Ethical Leadership On Employee Well-being: The Mediating Role of Psychological Empowerment." Journal of Indonesian Economy and Business, vol. 32 No. 2, pp. 121-137.
44. Resick,C. J., Hanges, P. J., Dickson, M. W., Mitchelson, J. K.,(2006). "A Cross-Cultural Examination of the Endorsement of Ethical Leadership", Journal of Business Ethics, Vol.63, pp. 345–359.
45. Riaz, A. & Zaman, S. (2018). Impact of Ethical Leadership on Organizational Cronyism through Mediating Role of Ethical Culture and Moderating Role of Leader Member Exchange, Pakistan Journal of Commerce and Social Sciences, Vol. 12 No. 3, pp. 831-850.
46. Sama, L. M., & Shoaf, V. (2007). Ethical leadership for the professions: Fostering a moral community. Journal of Business Ethics, Vol. 78, pp. 39–46.
47. Saragih, R., Fakhri, M., Pradana, M., Gilang, A., & Vidjashesa, G. A. (2018). Ethical leadership’s effect on employee discipline: Case of an Indonesian telecommunication company. Proceedings of the International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Operations Management, 2018(NOV).
48. Toor, S., & Ofori, G. (2009). Ethical leadership: Examining the relationships with full range leadership model, employee outcomes, and organizational culture. Springer Journal of Business Ethics, Vol. 90 No. 4, pp. 533 – 547.
49. Treviño, L. K., Hartman, L. P., & Brown, M. (2000). Moral Person and Moral Manager: How Executives Develop a Reputation for Ethical Leadership. California Management Review, 42(4), pp. 128–142.
50. Van den Akker, L., Heres, L., Lasthuizen, K. M., & Six, F. E. (2009). Ethical leadership and trust: It's all about meeting expectations. International Journal of Leadership Studies, 5(2), pp. 102-122.
51. Weaver, G. R., Treviño, L. K., & Agle, B. (2005). "Somebody I Look Up To". Ethical Role Models in Organizations. Organizational Dynamics, 34, pp. 313-330.
52. Werther, W. B., & Davis, K. (1993). Human resources and personnel management. New York: McGraw-Hill.
53. Yang, C. (2014). Does Ethical Leadership Lead to Happy Workers? A Study on the Impact of Ethical Leadership, Subjective Well-Being, and Life Happiness in the Chinese Culture. J Bus Ethics 123, pp. 513–525.
54. Zhu, W., May, D. R., & Avolio, B. J. (2004). The impact of ethical leadership behavior on employee outcomes: The roles of psychological empowerment and authenticity. Journal of Leadership and Organizational Studies, 11, pp. 16–26.
الحقوق الفكرية (c) 2021 Moath Nagib Gharib
هذا العمل مرخص حسب الرخصة Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.